God really is on the move.
Yet, sometimes we get distracted by those people who seem to have everything going their way.
What do you think when your friend finally gets her dream job? What do you think when your friend is about to get married? What do you think when your friend finds out that she is pregnant?
If you are like many, this is what you think: “Where is my dream job? Why can’t I be married? When are we going to have children?”
Do you remember the Joseph story in the book of Genesis? Joseph had been sold as a slave and is now in Egypt, working in Potiphar’s house. Potiphar was one of Pharaoh’s officials – the captain of the guard.
Joseph is far from home, far from his family, far from the land.
Yet, the writer of Genesis wants you to know that God is very near. “The Lord” is mentioned five times in 22 verses (39:2, 3, 5, 21, 23). This is a surprise after reading the previous two chapters in which so very little had been said about God. Now the writer wants you to know that God is very much at work.
If you are like many people, you live as though there is really nothing significant happening in your life:
- My family is ordinary. We are just trying to get by. Nothing about us really stands out.
- My church is vanilla. It is not a great church. We have so many weaknesses. There is nothing about us that would impress anyone.
- My job is just a job. It is not an important job or something that might interest you or someone else.
- My ministry is not that impressive. Perhaps there are no glowing statistics to pass on. Maybe all you can see are the obstacles in your ministry.
When God is with you, what looks discouraging, may in fact, be the place where God is working in a mighty way. What may look ordinary can be the very avenue where God is working in extraordinary ways.
- Do you have a family? God is working through your family to bless others for generations to come!
- Are you a part of a church family? God is on the move through Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit! He works through his church and the various congregations that make up that church to carry out his mission!
- Do you have a job? God is working through you in your vocation to impact others for the kingdom of God!
- Are you faithful in your ministry? God is working through your ministry to display Jesus and allow others to experience his love and service!
Again and again we see that God is backstage and is intentionally and deliberately on the move!
Is there a word of encouragement for you in the above post? What especially speaks to your life?