This blog, “A Place for the God-Hungry,” is where I share ideas about life, marriage, parenting, leadership, and ministry. In particular, I want this blog to be a place of encouragement. Each week, I dedicate at least one post to those who serve as church leaders.
I was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, and grew up in Dallas, Texas. I graduated from the University of North Texas with a degree in Business Management. Later, I went to what was then International Bible College (two years), Abilene Christian University (M.Div.), and Harding School of Theology (D.Min.)
Most of my time in ministry has been with the following congregations: College Church of Christ, Florence, Alabama (1982-1990); Gladstone Church of Christ, Kansas City, Missouri (1990-1993); and Crestview Church of Christ, Waco, Texas (1993-present).
I also write this blog (began 2004). I serve as a “Community Leader” for Michael Hyatt’s blog, am a Mentoring Partner for Hope Network Ministries and regularly lead mentoring groups.
I am married to Charlotte, a schoolteacher. I have two daughters and two sons-in-law. Christine and her husband, Phillip, live in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. They have one son, Brody, who is not quite two years old. Our other daughter, Jamie and her husband, Calvin, live in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
What I like
- Great coffee (Nashville’s Drew’s Brews; Chicago’s Intelligentsia, and whatever else is freshly ground).
- Watching: Diners, Drive-ins and Dives; Law & Order; Blue Bloods.
- Riding my bike.
- Working out at the gym.
- Reading: Anne Tyler, Eugene Peterson, Scot McKnight, N.T. Wright, Gordon MacDonald, Henri Nouwen, and others.
- Reading the Wall Street Journal (print) and a number of online newpapers each morning.
- Watching Baylor sports – particularly men’s basketball, women’s basketball and football.
- Cooking on my smoker or grill.
- Enjoying summer vacations.
- Eating cinnamon scones.
- Playing with Brody (grandson).
- Eating Mexican or Italian food.
- Eating warm chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies.
- Eating Biscoff cookies with coffee.
- Drinking Earl Grey tea.
- Being near the ocean (Gulf Shores, Alabama) or in the mountains (Smoky Mountains).
- Eating excellent pork or beef barbecue.
- Watching the Dallas Mavericks, the Dallas Cowboys (sigh), or the Texas Rangers.
E-mail – email@example.com
Office phone – 254.776.0711
Twitter – @jimmartin
Facebook – www.facebook.com/jim.martin